KSU Bulk Fragment Analysis and Genotyping
The KSU Ecological Genomics Institute invites scientists at Kansas State University to request funding for processing samples for bulk fragment analysis and genotyping. Ecological Genomics seeks to understand the genetic mechanisms that underlie responses of organisms to their natural environment. This initiative will support interdisciplinary research that combines genomic and ecological approaches. Potential applicants should visit the KSU Ecological Genomics website, www.ksu.edu/ecogen, to gain a better understanding of the scope of the program. Requests that do not fall within the focus of the program will not be considered for funding. Priority for funding will be given to those applications that show promise of attracting extramural funds. Applicants are required to use the USDA Small Grain Genotyping Laboratory (GMPRC) in Throckmorton Hall. The maximum amount of funding will not exceed $5,000 per individual request.
Requests will be accepted throughout the year or until funds are depleted. Please allow at least 30 days for the approval process.
Requests are limited to 3 pages plus cited references, C.V.(s), current and pending support, and budget justification.
Proposals will be reviewed by the Ecological Genomics Grants Committee.
Funding for these requests has been made possible through support from KSU Targeted Excellence.
Process: Please send a PDF file of your request to Doris Merrill, Project Coordinator, email@example.com, Division of Biology, 232 Ackert Hall, (785) 532-3482.
Format of request (components should be organized in the order listed below):
- Request for Funding form (Word version of form)
- Purpose of Request, limited to 3 pages, single-spaced, 11 point or larger type (not more than 16 characters/inch), at least 1-inch margins. Sections of the proposal should include Summary, Specific Aims, Background and Significance, Preliminary Data (if any), Research Plan, Time Line, and Plans for Continued Support.
- List of references cited in the proposal.
- C.V.(s) of each investigator, 2-page, NSF style. Instructions provided at: www.ksu.edu/ecogen/EGI-Grant.html.
- Current and pending funding for each investigator, from all sources. Use form provided at www.ksu.edu/ecogen/EGI-Grant.html.
- Budget justification, 1-page, to include source of funding for preparation of reactions.
Proposal Reviewer Guidelines: Reviewers will consider scientific merit of the proposal, consisting of:
- Consistency with the goals of the Ecological Genomics Program;
- Conceptual adequacy of hypothesis or research question and clarity and delineation of the objectives;
- Probability that the funded research will lead to additional extramural funding;
- Probability of success of project including indication of solid microsatellite library or similar collection and preliminary data (if available);
- Qualifications of proposed project personnel;
- Time allocated for systematic attainment of objectives.